Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Nineteen Minutes

I just finished reading the book Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. I chose to read it because I had heard from several people that it is a book every teacher should read. As it turns out, this book was about a school shooting that occurred because a young high school student had been bullied his entire life, and how the victims, their families, the community, and even the shooter deal with the aftermath. It tied in alarmingly well with what we have been talking about in class in regards to cyberbullying and teaching appropriate use of the web. The young man in this book was bullied on many different levels: physically, emotionally, verbally, and eventually an email he had written expressing his feelings for a girl he liked fell into the wrong hands and was sent to every inbox of every student in his entire high school. It is frightening and depressing to realize how little control we have over bullying of all kinds. Students complain about being bullied all the time but so much of it is done "behind closed doors" that teachers and schools can only do so much. And now we have "invented" this whole new way of bullying. Not on the bus or in the halls between classes, but on the computer where it is so easy to hide behind what you are really doing. The combination of our class discussions and reading this book made it all the more evident to me how important it is that we try to reach as many of our students as possible in regards to appropriate Internet use and how one mistake (however innocent it may seem) can change the lives of many people.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

I have not read any of her books yet -- even though I have been told over and over that I should. This was one of the ones I thought I might read, and now, with your review, I definitely will. I agree with you about the "invention" of this new way of bullying; it is a scary thought because who knows how much of that is really happening? I hope that students will trust the adults in their lives enough to be able to confide in them and ask them for help.

Lynn

(Have you read My Sister's Keeper? That one sounded good to me, too. I need to read some more adult books one of these days....)

jkohlmeier said...

Thanks for the info Amanda. That sounds very frightening to see the damage that someone can do with technology these days. It's unfortunate, but that is the sinful world we live in. Your review has made me very interested to read the book and share with my faculty. Thanks again!

Mrs. Gull said...

I also read Nineteen Minutes and would recommend it, especially to teachers. Bullying will never disappear, but we really need to be aware of what some kids are going through and find ways to be better listeners and supporters. Lynn, I heard My Sister's Keeper was a terrific book although I haven't read that one yet.